All aspects of the patented KeelGuard were designed by boat and 3M engineers. Many of its features are contributors to its success. An exact blend of abrasive-resistant, polymers, and urethanes achieve its optimal durability and pliability.
- Protects against abrasive sand, rocks, concrete ramps and oyster beds.
- Eliminates costly repairs and increases the value of your boat.
- Every aspect of the patented KeelGuard has been designed with boat designers and 3M engineers.
- Includes an application kit and installs easily in an hour or less.
Made up of several layers, each has a specific function to make this the strongest and best Hull Guard available on the market today. Here is a breakdown of each layer, working from the outside in.
- The outer layer of Ultra-Tough Polymer Composite is pliable, shock absorbent and conforms to the keel. Each edge is contoured to create a clean, tight seal with no messy sealants needed. There is a patented drag reduction design that includes angled grooves which produce hydrodynamic channels, creating air pockets and providing a slicker surface.
- Next are 2 layers of adhesive that work together to form a permanent bond between the outer layer and the core which is an internal foam layer.
- The core is a 30-45 mil thick acrylic foam that provides shock absorption as well as expansion and contraction with temperature change. The foam core also allows the adhesive to compensate for any surface irregularities such as scratches, nicks or gel-coat wear.
- Next is another layer of acrylic adhesive that is designed to bond with fiberglass, gel-coat and aluminum surfaces.
- Lastly there is the protective liner that protects the 3M adhesive until you are ready to install the Megaware Keelguard onto your boat. The liner is scored one inch down the center to aid in centering on the hull.
KeelGuards can protect against several abrasive and destructive elements including, sand, rocks, concrete ramps, and oyster beds. By using this equipment, you can prevent costly repairs and increase the value of your boat. The installation process is quick and easy, and can often be completed in less than an hour, with professional looking results.
If you are planning on installing this product yourself, it is easy to do, however, the steps must be done in a precise order to ensure quality and not jeopardize the integrity of the bonding agents of the 3M adhesive. In order to guarantee a good bonding result, Megaware KeelGuard should be installed in a temperature of 60 degrees or above.
In most cases, the Megaware KeelGuard is mounted 4 to 6 inches above the waterline on the bow, ending 2 to 3 feet or more beyond the lowest point of the Keel. If protection is required above the Bow eye, a separate Bow Guard is available in 1ft to 3ft lengths. For watercraft, begin the Megaware KeelGuard around 1 inch below the bow hook, running the length of the keel, and ending 4 to 6 inches forward of the pump intake.
This is the easiest keel protector to install, and the patented engineering of the Megaware KeelGuard gives your boat unparalleled quality and dependability.
This product ships in 1 business day.
Add to Cart and enter your Postal Code to determine the shipping charges and estimated delivery date.
* Most products and orders leave our warehouse in 1 business day. However, select items may take more processing time. Alaska and Hawaii orders please add 1 additional warehouse processing day.
Standard Shipping Policies