Nothing can ruin a day of fishing like the battery on your trolling motor dying. One of the most commonly asked questions in regard to trolling motor batteries is how long they should last. This applies ... read more to using it before it runs out of charge and also the useful or economic life. Well, the truth is that there is no specific time interval. It all depends on how often the motor is operated, the size and weight of the boat, charging and discharging rate, and the water currents and vegetation cover. With proper care and maintenance, reputable brands such as Minn Kota trolling motor batteries can last for a long time.
How long the charge will last, or how long the battery will serve you depend on the way you handle and maintain it. Improper use will shorten the life of even the good brands such as Minn Kota or Motor Guide Trolling Motor Batteries.
The life of the battery can be extended by doing the following:
• Do not allow the charge to go below 50%
• Top up lead-acid batteries with distilled water only<
• Avoid rapid (boost) charging
• Do not connect good batteries with a faulty or dead battery
• Do not allow the battery to overheat
• Do not allow corrosion or sulphur deposits to form on the terminals
• Do not overwork the motor by prolonged operation or running it through vegetation
- Utilize the correct trolling motor circuit breakers, motor plugs, and connectors
- Avoid draining too much or too regularly. Frequent discharging and recharging will shorten the battery life. Deep-cycle trolling motor batteries are better suited to handle constant charging as compared to ordinary lead-acid batteries.
Nonetheless, in order to get the optimal service it is important to take care of your battery but no matter how well you take care of your battery, trolling motor battery charger is a must for any angler, marine observer and fisherman. Whether you have a Motor Guide or Minn Kota Trolling Motor, iboats has the correct chargers and accessories to keep you gliding through the water with ease. read less