Paddle Boarding How-Tos
How to Take Care of My Paddle Boarding Equipment
If you have the pleasure of owning a stand-up paddle board, then you already love it and want to preserve its life so you can continue enjoying it for many seasons to come!
Here are some great, easy tips to ensure your paddle board maintains its youthful glow after each outing:
- Before entering the water, look closely to be sure there are no sharp rocks or objects that could hurt the board. Also, be on the lookout for these items as you coast thru the water as well so you can avoid such damage as dings or cracks.
- Be sure to check your vent plug to ensure it is tight before you begin your journey and loosen it when you finish. You don't want water coming thru your SUP while using in the water or creating pressure when closed and not in use. Doing so will hurt the overall material of the board over time.
- Always store your SUP in a shaded area when not in use. The sun is your paddle board's worst enemy and can break down its finest materials very quickly. You want to keep it out of the sun as much as possible by also transferring it into a reflective bag if possible.
- Check regularly for any potential damage to your SUP. If the damage is on the top of the board, not coming into contact with the water, it is more cosmetic and doesn't cause serious harm. If there is an area at risk of letting water in, you will want to get it repaired by a specialist as soon as possible as this will interfere with the performance and safety of your paddle board.
- It's important to clean your board after every other use to ensure you don't get a film or build up - especially if using in salt water. A little water, dish soap, and a soft brush would be sufficient in preventing this. There are great products out there, such as Goo Gone and Blue Goo, which would do just the job and even help the surface and performance of the board. (Follow as instructed.)
- While there are some roof rack attachments used only for carrying paddle boards, many may be used for other types of boarding equipment as well. When securing the board to the roof rack, be sure not to over-tighten the straps as that may cause damage to the board. Using cushions or blankets on the racks and straps will reduce wear and tear of the paddle board. The fin box should be facing up to the sky and should be located toward the front of the vehicle. Be careful not to drive too fast while transporting. Driving carefully will help avoid/limit damage to your board and the vehicle.
After all, if you take care of your stand up paddle board, it will take care of you!
Health Benefits of Paddle Boarding
There is a new trend of water sports that is gaining immense popularity. Paddle boarding has been a fascinating sport to watch. Its history begins with Hawaiians using them as a recreational outlet as well as a form of transportation when the waves were not adequate to surf.
There are many that enjoy the benefits of being out in the water without the feeling of being beat up by the pounding of water while surfing or body boarding. Paddle boarding allows its participants to be out in the water, enjoying the serenity that only water can bring, while gaining an intense workout.
Requiring balance, upper body strength, and at times, a little perseverance, paddle boarding can be a pleasant alternative to conventional methods of exercise. To paddle board effectively, you will strengthen your core muscles, legs, and upper arms, and even your posture as you glide atop the water at either an intense, fast-pace or a leisurely stroll.
One of the main selling points on paddle boarding is that it is a low-impact sport. Low-impact means that your body will not be screaming in pain from unnecessary pounding, like running, skiing, or any other of the high intense sports or methods of exercise.
When combining both aerobic and strength training, paddle boarding will require an immense amount of balance, strengthening your abs and leg muscles. While also using your arms for momentum, paddle boarding will increase your heart rate; for you have total control of how intense or relaxed your workout will be.
While you are using many of the core parts of yur body, it will aid in the burning of calories and the strengthening of muscles, which even has longer term benefits. Like any other sport or aerobic adventure, you may become sore at first. The more you adventure out on the water to paddle board, the stronger you will become and the immense health benefits will be prevalent.
A growing trend is also to incorporate other forms of exercise or muscle strengthening. Many have found it beneficial to combine paddle boarding and yoga, or any other form of meditation. Participants have found that the serenity of being out on the water greatly helps intensify the effects and benefits of these activities.
- Parts & Accessories 54 items
- Stand Up Paddle Boards 47 items
- Paddles 42 items
- Gear Bags & Packs 29 items
- Carriers, Racks 24 items
- Life Jackets, Vests 11 items
- Board Bags, Paddle Covers 8 items
- Leashes & Decking 5 items
- Yoga Accessories 4 items
- Paddling Apparel 4 items
- Safety & Paddle 4 items
- Cleaning, Maintenance, Repairs 3 items
- Fishing Accessories 3 items